6 Brazilian tourists die of carbon monoxide in Chile

4 photos
Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — Six Brazilian tourists were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday inside an old apartment where they were staying in central Santiago.

Authorities said police were alerted by the Brazilian Embassy, which had been called by one of the victims when she became ill.

When officers entered the apartment in a six-story building they found four adults and two children dead, police commander Rodrigo Soto said. The fire department said a high concentration of carbon monoxide was measured in the apartment, which it said was completely closed.

An investigation was underway to determine the source of the leaked carbon monoxide, which is a colorless and odorless gas produced by fuel combustion in gas stoves and heating systems. A heavy accumulation can cause death.

Santiago registered its coldest day of the South American autumn early Wednesday, with the temperature dropping to zero Celsius (32 Fahrenheit).

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Most recent World stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast