News / Utah / 

Kristin Murphy, KSL, File

3 Utah inmates charged in violent prison attack

By Pat Reavy, KSL | Posted - Feb 13th, 2018 @ 5:15pm

SALT LAKE CITY — Three documented gang members accused of brutally attacking another inmate at the Utah State Prison have been charged with a number of felonies, including attempted murder.

In addition, the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office is seeking enhanced penalties for at least one of the men for allegedly being a habitual offender.

Andres Delacruz, 31, was charged Monday in 3rd District Court with attempted murder, possession of a prohibited item in a correctional facility and obstructing justice. All charges were filed as first-degree felonies due to Delacruz being classified as a "habitual offender," according to charging documents, for being convicted of a violent felony on at least two prior occasions.

Daniel Marc Callihan, 39, was charged with aggravated assault by a prisoner, a second-degree felony. Antonio M. Arrellano, 27, was charged with obstruction of justice, a second-degree felony.

On Jan. 30, video surveillance from the prison shows Delacruz stabbing another inmate while Callihan kicked him in the head, charging documents state. Investigators say Arrellano then took a weapon from Delacruz and flushed it down a toilet.

Investigators say the attacked inmate was taken to the infirmary where he was found "yelling and appeared to be in a great deal of pain," charges state. "He had several missing teeth and was actively bleeding from numerous lacerations on his head, neck, back and arms."

The inmate was transferred to University Hospital.

In March of 2017, Delacruz was convicted of stabbing another inmate, according to court records, and was sentenced to one to 15 years at the prison. Delacruz was sentenced to prison in 2012 on a burglary conviction. He was also convicted of theft by receiving stolen property in 2011 and 2010, and attempted theft by receiving stolen property in 2009.

Callihan, who has a history of drug possession and fleeing from police, was sentenced to up to five years in prison in June.

Pat Reavy

KSL Weather Forecast