Christy Johnson is the Homeless Liaison for the Tooele County School District where she provides services and supplies to the homeless children in Tooele County. Christy has helped more than four hundred students who are classified as homeless in the district. Each year before school starts, she puts together a Back to School Closet. This is where children can receive new shoes, socks, gently used clothing, backpacks with school supplies and can be assigned an advocate. When these items are given to a child it opens up doors of opportunity for them to be at school. Last year, three hundred pairs of shoes were given out and 600 people directly benefited from this program. Some of the children in Tooele County School District are victims of circumstances that are out of their control. The district works directly with Law enforcement, Child Protective Services and Mental Health providers to see that these children get what they need when they need it. SelectHealth recognizes Christy Johnson and the community care provided by Tooele County School District as another example of how Utah Gives Back.
Tooele County School District
- Have You Seen This? Mountain biker jumps Tour de France riders
- Police respond to burglary call to find wild animal
- Police arrest man on suspicion of murder after woman dies, 2 are injured in shooting
- Toddler dies after getting run over in movie theater parking lot
- NAACP, Latter-day Saint partnership shows teamwork in a time 'marked by division,' op-ed says
- A missing toddler drove himself down to the county fair on his toy tractor
- Man dead in motorcycle crash in Utah County
- Tony Finau finishes 3rd at The Open Championship
- Wildfire updates: Fire west of Monticello 'is becoming more active'
- State employee badly bruises face when driverless shuttle abruptly stops