Man charged with backing Islamic State faces trial in June



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — The son of a Boston police captain charged with plotting a terrorist attack on a college campus to support the Islamic State group heads to trial next year.

A federal judge last week scheduled 25-year-old Alexander Ciccolo's (chih-KOH'-lohz) trial to start June 18.

Ciccolo, of Adams, was arrested in July 2015 after receiving guns from a federal informant. Prosecutors say he planned to detonate homemade bombs similar to the pressure cooker bombs used in the 2013 Boston Marathon attack.

He pleaded not guilty to charges including attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

Ciccolo's attorney has said in court filings the government's plan to hide the identities of witnesses has hampered his ability to build a defense.

Ciccolo's mother has said her son "would not hurt a fly."

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast