Afghan governor dismisses announcement he has resigned



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A powerful Afghan provincial governor is dismissing an announcement by the presidential palace that his resignation has been accepted.

Atta Mohammad Noor, governor of northern Balkh province, dismissed the order, saying no one in the National Unity Government has the right to remove him from his position unless his party, Jamiat-e Islami, makes that decision.

There was no immediate reaction from the presidential palace.

In an address Saturday broadcast live on local TV, Noor said his party made a mistake in backing the country's chief executive, Abdullah Abdullah during the past election. Noor once supported Abdullah Abdullah.

Last week, the palace announced that President Ashraf Ghani had accepted Noor's resignation, but Noor says that so far their negotiations have not come to a conclusion.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast