Stockholm truck attack trial expected to start in February



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TALLINN, Estonia (AP) — Swedish prosecutors say an Uzbek man who rammed a stolen truck into a crowd in downtown Stockholm in April, killing five and injuring 14, is expected to stand trial in February.

Prosecutor Hans Ihrman told Swedish broadcaster TV4 Monday that Rakhmat Akilov is the only suspect, and the trial is likely to take "a couple of months."

Akilov was subject to deportation from Sweden ahead of the April 7 attack as his asylum application was rejected. He was captured soon after he drove a stolen beer truck into a crowd of shoppers outside a department store in Stockholm's city center.

Akilov's lawyer has said earlier that the Uzbek construction worker, who was 39 at the time of the attack, has confessed to a terrorist crime and intends to plead guilty.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast