Maine man sentenced to life in prison for violent rampage

1 photo
Save Story

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BANGOR, Maine (AP) — A man who killed two people and injured four others was sentenced to life in prison Monday for a rampage that left a trail of death and destruction across northern Maine.

Explaining his actions for the first time, Anthony Lord told the judge that he'd sought counseling to no avail after his baby son's death left him overcome with grief before the shootings.

Lord, 37, said of the families: "They can't be given back what they lost."

Justice Ann Murray imposed two life sentences, the maximum sentences for the two counts of murder, during the hearing at the Penobscot Judicial Center. In Maine, there's no possibility of parole.

The rampage began in July 2015 when Lord, of Crystal, set fire to a barn, stole firearms from a Silver Ridge Township home and beat a man after tying him to a chair.

That was just the beginning.

After the barn fire, Lord went to Benedicta, where his ex-girlfriend was staying, and fatally shot her boyfriend, 22-year-old Kyle Hewitt. He also kidnapped 22-year-old Brittany Irish, the former girlfriend, and shot and wounded her 55-year-old mother, Kim Irish.

Later, he killed 58-year-old Kevin Tozier at a woodlot where he stole a truck. He was also accused of shooting and injuring two other people.

Kyle Hewitt's mother, Shelly, said after the sentencing that closure isn't possible in so traumatic of a crime, but she also said she is glad Murray imposed the maximum possible sentence. She said in court on Monday that the case has left her suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and she can't shake the events of Lord's crime spree.

"All of us have been given a life sentence with these changes," she said in court. "It's the least he deserves."

Lord, who has a lengthy criminal history, was arrested in his uncle's home in Houlton. He pleaded guilty last month to spare the victims' families the ordeal of a trial. Lord's attorney's said on Monday that an appeal of his sentence is possible.

Murray described Lord's actions as a "criminal rampage" that had a "devastating effect" on the families and victims, and that a life sentence was the only appropriate punishment.

Lord didn't offer a clue about what prompted the violence until Monday, when he said none of the events would have taken place if his son hadn't died in May 2015. A Millinocket man is awaiting trial for his son's death.

"I do know how it feels to have a son murdered," Lord said in a statement that was read aloud by one of his defense lawyers, David Bate. "I do hope you all will find peace. I know there is nothing I can do or say that will bring Kyle and Kevin back."

"I'm sorry I took your daddy away," the attorney read.

The parents of Brittany Irish said previously that Lord was furious at their daughter when she went to police about him abducting her and attacking her two days before the rampage. Because of his lengthy criminal record, he didn't care about the consequences, they said.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics



    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast