SALT LAKE CITY — A registered sex offender with a history of exposing himself was arrested again after police say he was caught naked near the Children's Center.
Matthew Vaughn Batres, 41, of Salt Lake City, was arrested Tuesday morning after Uber driver who was dropping off a mother and her child at The Children's Center, 350 S. 400 East, spotted him committing a lewd act, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. The center provides mental health care to children and their families.
The driver got out of his car and confronted the naked man, who then began chasing the driver and tried to assault him, the report states.
Since 2015, Batres has had six cases filed against him in court regarding lewdness or attempted lewdness.
• In February of 2015, Batres exposed himself to a man at random near 300 S. State, according to charging documents.
• A month later, police say he exposed himself to a woman working with a group of handicapped clients.
• The next day, while in the Salt Lake County Jail, he exposed himself to three female inmates, according to court documents.
• Several days later, he climbed onto a table while in jail and allegedly exposed himself again.
• On May 15, 2015, Batres exposed himself multiple times to a female corrections officer, charges state.
• On June 3, 2015, Batres was accused of exposing himself again while in jail.
In July of 2016, after waiting an extended period of time for a competency review to be completed at the Utah State Hospital, Batres resolved all six cases by pleading guilty or no contest to reduced charges and was sentenced to a year in jail.
Prior to those cases, Batres was also convicted of lewdness in Clearfield and Clinton, and sexual battery in 2nd District Court, according to court records.