Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A Virginia police department has settled a lawsuit filed by the sister of a man who died in police custody after officers shocked him repeatedly with stun guns.
The $25 million lawsuit was filed by the sister of Linwood Lambert Jr., who died in May 2013 after three South Boston, Virginia, police officers used stun guns on him multiple times. The officers were taking him to the hospital for a mental health evaluation.
Gwendolyn Smalls' lawsuit was dismissed last week after the parties told the court they resolved their differences. Details of the settlement weren't released.
Attorneys for Smalls and the South Boston Police Department didn't immediately return phone messages Monday. Smalls declined to comment.
South Boston Town Manager Tom Raab said the officers will keep their jobs.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.