Estimated read time: 6-7 minutes
CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the fatal police shootings in Chicago (all times local):
Autopsies have determined a 19-year-old college student shot to death by a Chicago police officer last month suffered six bullet wounds and the woman police say was "accidently" killed with him was shot once.
Quintonio LeGrier was killed by officers responding to a Dec. 26 domestic disturbance who said he was "combative" toward police. A neighbor not involved in the disturbance, 55-year-old Bettie Jones, was also killed.
Autopsy reports prepared by the Cook County medical examiner's office say LeGrier was shot in the chest, back, buttock and left arm and two suffered graze wounds. The autopsy found the Northern Illinois University student had marijuana in his system.
The medical examiner determined the bullet that struck Jones severed her heart, aorta and esophagus.
The county prosecutors have asked the FBI to investigate the shooting.
Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez has dismissed the local Democratic leadership's endorsement of one of her political rivals, saying it isn't a setback for her re-election bid.
Alvarez skipped the Cook County Democratic Party's candidate slating on Thursday, saying she already knew the outcome. The embattled prosecutor told reporters Thursday that it shows that she'll be independent of the party, which didn't back her previous campaigns.
Party officials decided to support Kim Foxx, a former chief aide to the county board president. The decision came after the party had initially said it would remain neutral in the March primary.
Alvarez has been under criticism for her office's handling of alleged police misconduct cases. She's been facing calls to resign after taking more than a year to charge a white police officer with murder after he shot a black teenager 16 times in 2014.
Newly released video of a 2013 fatal Chicago police shooting shows that a white officer shot the 17-year-old old black carjacking suspect within seconds of the teen running away.
The video of the police pursuit and shooting of Cedrick Chatman was shot by different cameras. Overhead video that city attorneys consider the primary footage shows the officer shooting at Chatman, but it is grainy and doesn't reveal much, including whether the teen turned back toward the two pursuing officers or had anything in his hand, as they claimed.
That overhead footage shows Chatman bolt across the street from a car, with Officer Lou Toth right on his heels. Officer Kevin Fry can be seen trailing farther behind and taking aim as Chatman rounds a corner in front of a bodega. The camera then pans right and shows Toth crouching over the fallen Chatman. Toth later stands with his foot on the teen.
Chatman's mother is suing the city and the officers. Her attorney, Brian Coffman, says the teen never turned toward the officers and posed no threat.
Attorneys for the city of Chicago have released 2013 surveillance video showing a white police officer fatally shooting a 17-year-old black carjacking suspect.
A federal judge on Thursday lifted a protective order that had barred the release after the city dropped its objections.
The officer shot Cedrick Chatman during a foot chase. The officer says he fired after seeing Chatman turn toward officers with a dark object in his hand that he thought was a gun. Investigators later determined it was an iPhone box.
Chatman's mother is suing the city and the two police officers who pursued the teen. Her attorney, Brian Coffman, says the teen never turned toward the officers and posed no threat.
This story has been corrected to reflect that the video was released by attorneys for the city of Chicago, not Cedrick Chatman's family.
A federal judge has sharply criticized the city of Chicago for fighting the release of a police shooting video for weeks only to suddenly reverse course and call for its release.
U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman told city lawyers during a Thursday hearing he was "very disturbed" by how they dealt with video showing a white police officer fatally shooting a black teenager, Cedrick Chatman, in 2013.
City lawyers filed a motion Wednesday withdrawing the city's opposition to releasing the video on policy grounds.
Gettleman agreed to allow its release but said he "went to a lot of trouble to decide this issue" only for the city to suddenly declare it was going to be transparent.
The release is part of a lawsuit Chatman's family filed against the city.
Chicago-area Democratic leaders have thrown their support behind a challenger to embattled Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez, who has been facing heavy criticism over her office's handling of alleged police misconduct cases.
The Cook County Democratic Party initially decided to stay neutral in the March primary, but decided to revisit the decision about whether to endorse any of the three candidates.
During a meeting Thursday that Alvarez didn't attend, her two challengers for the Democratic nomination made their pleas to party leaders. After less than a half-hour of deliberating in private, the committeemen announced they were backing Kim Foxx, a former chief aide to the county board president.
Alvarez has been facing calls to resign since waiting a year to charge a white Chicago police officer with murder after he shot a black teenager 16 times in 2014.
A federal judge has granted the release of 2013 surveillance video showing a white Chicago police officer fatally shoot a 17-year-old black carjacking suspect.
The judge lifted a protective order that barred the release after the city dropped its objections. Mayor Rahm Emanuel's administration and the police force have come under intense scrutiny in recent months over police shootings and cases of alleged misconduct.
A city Law Department spokesman didn't immediately respond to an email Thursday asking when the video would be released.
The officer shot Cedrick Chatman during a January 2013 foot chase. The officer says he fired after seeing Chatman turn toward officers with a dark object in his hand. Investigators later determined it was an iPhone box.
A Chatman family lawyer says the video will show he never turned and posed no threat.
A judge will decide whether to allow the release of a video showing a white Chicago police officer fatally shooting a black car-theft suspect in 2013.
The hearing Thursday comes a day after the city did an about-face and dropped its opposition to making the video public.
It's not clear how soon the city will release the footage of Cedrick Chatman's death if the judge lifts a protective order, as expected.
Chatman was suspected in a car theft when an officer killed the 17-year-old during a foot chase.
Questions about the Chatman video follow the Nov. 24 release of a video showing a white officer fatally shooting black teenager Laquan McDonald 16 times. The city fought its release for more than a year.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.