Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
RECIPE: Crispy Cuban Rolls
3 oz. Béchamel Sauce*
1/4 cup Dill Pickles, minced
1-1/2 oz. Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 Tbls. Yellow Mustard
2 Tbls. Parsley, chopped
2 tsps. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
2-1/4 lbs. Pork Shoulder, braised, shredded 1/2" pieces*
12 oz. Swiss Cheese, grated
6 oz. Ham, cut into small, thin strips
20 ea. Lumpia Wrapper (large round)**
As Needed: Egg Wash (2 eggs + 2 Tbls. water mixed together)
As Needed: Cornstarch
As Needed: Sweet Mustard Sauce (recipe below)
1. Place the béchamel sauce, dill pickles, Parmesan cheese, mustard, chopped parsley, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl, gently folding to incorporate with a rubber spatula.
2. Add the shredded pork shoulder, Swiss cheese and ham into the bowl, gently folding to incorporate with a rubber spatula.
3. Lay several of the lumpia wrappers onto a clean dry work surface. Cover the remaining wrappers with plastic wrap until needed.
4. Brush 1" of the top edge with egg wash. Place a 1-1/2 oz. portion of the mix onto the center of each wrapper.
5. Tightly bring the bottom edge of the wrapper up and over the filling. Fold both sides of the wrapper in and over the filling and gently roll upward like a "burrito." The finished roll should be about 4-1/2" long and 1" wide. Lightly dust the outside of the rolls with cornstarch.
6. Fry the rolls (a few at a time) in "deep" oil set at a temperature of approximately 350° (F) for 5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove any excess oil from the cooked rolls.
7. Serve the Crispy Cuban Rolls with Sweet Mustard Sauce on the side.
*Recipes are readily available in books, magazines, and on the internet.
**Available at most markets specializing in Asian cuisine.
RECIPE: Sweet Mustard Sauce
1-1/2 cups Mayonnaise
3 Tbls. Sugar
2 Tbls. White Vinegar
1/2 cup Whole Grain Mustard
1 oz. Dijon Mustard
1 oz. Yellow Mustard
1. Place all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir together until thoroughly and evenly combined.
2. Keep refrigerated until needed for service.