New Hampshire high court rejects school bullying suit


Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The state's highest court says a Manchester family can't sue the school district over a bullying incident.

The case involves a then-7th grade girl who had her teeth knocked out in 2011 by two boys who the family says teased her. The girl's mother said the assault could have been prevented if the family was aware of a bullying incident earlier that week.

Under the state's anti-bullying law and Manchester's policy, schools must notify parents 48 hours after any incident. Manchester Superintendent Tom Brennan in 2012 told other media he did not believe the first incident was bullying.

The girl's family sued the school district on a negligence claim.

The Supreme Court on Friday said state law blocks such a lawsuit.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

U.S.
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast