Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A man who once ran for Congress in Missouri and was accused of commercial terrorism in Utah has agreed to a plea deal.
The Deseret News reported Monday (http://bit.ly/1fSazAO) that 38-year-old Scott Jay Eckersley has pleaded no contest to reduced charges in the case.
Prosecutors said he removed brochures from a competitor's display at a Midway resort several times and replaced them with his own.
Under the terms of the deal, the charges will be dismissed if Eckersley pays restitution, completes anger management classes and stays out of trouble for 18 months.
His lawyer David Brickey says the deal is a good outcome.
Eckersley previously served as a staff attorney in the Missouri governor's office, but was fired in a high-profile spat that sparked a lawsuit settled in 2009.
He also ran unsuccessfully for Congress.
Information from: Deseret News, http://www.deseretnews.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.