News / 

George W. Bush travels to New Orleans...Erika could strengthen...Site of attack on journalists reopens

By The Associated Press | Posted - Aug. 28, 2015 at 6:51 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A day after President Barack Obama marked the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina by visiting New Orleans, former President George W. Bush follows today. Bush will deliver remarks at Warren Easton Charter High School, the same school he visited on the first anniversary of the catastrophic storm. Then he'll travel to Gulfport, Mississippi. Bush was vilified for his government's lackluster response to the devastation.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Tropical Storm Erika could strengthen to a hurricane as it's expected to move closer to South Florida next week. Today, Erika is pounding Puerto Rico with heavy rains and wind. On the Caribbean island of Dominica (doh-MIN'-ih-kuh), four people were killed and another 20 are missing as Erika caused devastating floods.

GENEVA (AP) — The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees is urging authorities to crack down on the migrant smuggling trade and to expand safe, legal ways for refugees to reach Europe. The call comes after 71 migrants being smuggled into Austria were found dead in a refrigerated truck. Greece's coast guard says it has rescued 665 migrants at sea over the past 24 hours. U.N. officials say about 200 migrants are missing and feared dead after two smuggling boats capsized off the coast of Libya.

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) — The Virginia shopping center where two journalists were slain during a live interview is opening this morning for the first time since the attack. Chris Genna, who owns CJ's Coffee and Sandwich Shop at Bridgewater Plaza, calls it an emotional day. WDBJ anchor Kim McBroom started this morning's broadcast by telling viewers, "another tough morning for us, but we're soldiering on." She was at the anchor desk during Wednesday morning's attack.

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican's former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, who had been charged by church prosecutors with sexually abusing children, has died of apparent natural causes. The Vatican says 67-year-old Jozef Wesolowski was found dead early today in the Vatican room where he's been held on house arrest. Wesolowski had been scheduled to go on trial in a Vatican tribunal on July 11, but he fell ill.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast