Treasurer restarting search for IT vendor amid 'red flags'

By The Associated Press | Posted - Aug. 26, 2015 at 5:31 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — The Nevada Treasurer's Office is going back to the drawing board after lawmakers raised concerns about an IT vendor tapped to work on the new Education Savings Account program.

Treasurer's chief of staff Grant Hewitt said his office planned to post a request for bids on Friday. They previously had the prerogative to choose a vendor without an open bidding process.

Nevada lawmakers voted on party lines last week to approve $116,000 in start-up costs for the program, which allows parents to use state education funds for private school tuition.

Lawmakers grilled the treasurer's office about why proposed contractor i2Net's Nevada business license had been revoked, and asked whether the vendor could handle the job.

Hewitt said officials are restarting their search to ensure the program starts on solid footing.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast