This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — New Mexico's attorney general is launching an investigation into how the school system in the state's largest city hired a high-level administrator who faces child sex abuse charges.
Attorney General Hector Balderas announced Monday his office will look into why Albuquerque Public Schools' safety protocols were breached and Jason Martinez was hired in June before a background check was completed.
Martinez resigned abruptly last week. It later surfaced that he faces six felony counts of sexual assault on a child in Colorado.
In a statement, Superintendent Luis Valentino said he welcomed the investigation by Balderas and believed the safety of staff and students was important.
Board member Steven Michael Quezada said a vote Thursday will either retain or keep Valentino.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.