News / Utah / 

3 children, doctor killed in Bear Lake boating accident identified

(Jeffrey D. Allred/Deseret News)

26 photos

Show 7 more videos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

GARDEN CITY, Rich County — Several northern Utah communities were in mourning Tuesday over the deaths of an Ogden doctor, two of his daughters and a teenage friend during a tragic outing on Bear Lake.

But communities were also rallying to show support for the three survivors.

Dr. Lance Capener, 45, of Pleasant View, and his daughters Kelsey, 13, and Kiley, 7, died after their boat was capsized during a storm with high winds on Monday. Siera Hadley, 13, of Harrisville, also died from injuries suffered in the accident.

Capener's wife, Kathryn, 42, survived and remained at Logan Regional Hospital Tuesday, but her condition improved and she was moved out of the intensive care unit.

In a statement, Capener family members said they are "heartbroken over the loss of our beloved Lance" as well as "bubbly" Kelsey and "sweet and angelic" Kiley and their "dear friend" Siera.

The family thanked the rescuers and first responders who found them after the boat overturned in the windstorm, got them out of the water and treated them. "We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support that has been shown from ward members, friends, neighbors and co-workers," the family said.

Rich County sheriff's deputies believe the group of seven was in the cold 53-degree water for at least three hours while search and rescue crews worked to locate them.

Rescue crews received a call about 6:15 p.m. Monday reporting the boat missing. High winds capsized the ski boat as it traveled from North Beach in Idaho to the Bear Lake State Park Marina in Utah, deputies said.

At that time, a storm packing winds of up to 70 mph was racing across the lake, producing waves up to 6 feet high, according to officials.

"The winds were so bad, it was hard to hear anything or see anything," said Rich County Sheriff Dale Stacey. "The waves were white capping. … It took a lot of effort to find that boat." Three helicopters assisted in the search along with local boat owners. The boat and all seven occupants were eventually located 6 miles north of the Bear Lake Marina.

Capener and Stockdale Family Statement
(Logan, UT) June 2, 2015. On the evening of June 1, during a boating outing on Bear Lake, wind storms and waves caused our boat to capsize. During the search and rescue efforts, while everyone was doing their best to convey what information they heard, the search and rescue crew was focused on the task that really mattered at that time: finding the lost individuals. However, that means that we cannot offer any details for certain about what occurred at Bear Lake during the storm or what occurred during the search and rescue. We respectfully request that you direct any questions about the events to the Rich County Sheriff's Department. What we know now is that, as family, we are heartbroken over the loss of our beloved Lance Capener, a local physician, our bubbly and loving Kelsey (13), and our sweet, angelic Kilee (7). We are also heartbroken about the loss of one of the family's dear friends and our love goes out to that family. We are grateful to the rescuers, the first-responders, the transport teams, and the medical staffs that have been involved with helping all efforts during this ordeal. These men and women have shown tremendous skill and compassion. We are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support that has been shown by ward members, friends, neighbors and coworkers. At this time, we request that the media respect our privacy and allow us the time and space needed to grieve and comfort each other through this ordeal. Thank you.

All seven who had been in the boat were wearing life jackets, but by the time rescue crews reached them, they were unresponsive. Stacey said he helped pull the group out of the water and onto rescue boats.

"I actually performed CPR on two of these victims. And it's difficult when it's kids. You look at the kids and you see your own kids or your own grandkids in their faces and it becomes very difficult for the responders," the sheriff said.

Two other girls who were in the boat, Tiffany Stoker, 14, and Tylinn Tilley, 14, were treated at Logan Regional Hospital and were released on Tuesday.

"The whole group of girls, they're just top-notch. They're just as perfect as you can get. They're the kind of girls that I hoped my daughter would look up to and continue to look up to," said family friend Jenifer Allen, who also taught all but one of the girls in grade school.

"They're the kind of girls everyone wanted to be friends with. (I) never heard them say anything ill about anyone else. Good students, good athletes," she said. "Super strong girls. Super sweet. They just kind of had a glow and a life to them."

Allen said she talked to one of the teens released from the hospital Tuesday. She said she was doing well physically but was struggling mentally.

"They were her best buds," Allen said of the young girls who died.

Shortly after leaving the hospital, Tiffany was helping others hang orange ribbons — Siera's favorite color — in Siera's neighborhood where friends were showing support for her family. Friends used words such as "bubbly," "outgoing" and "overachiever" when describing her.

Two separate accounts have been set up in Siera's name. A GoFundMe account was set up by her family. "We lost one of the sweetest girls on Earth. We would like to help her parents with funeral costs," family members said in a description of the account. Donations can also be made at America First Credit Union under Siera K. Hadley's name to help play for funeral expenses.

Many messages of condolence were left on the Facebook page of Siera's father on Tuesday.

"I am so so so sorry for your loss!! Siera will truly be missed. You all are in our prayers," one person wrote.

"I can't stop tearing up. I am praying for you and your family," wrote another, while another person wrote: "Sierra was so sweet and kind. Truly a light in this world."

Autopsies were scheduled to be performed on the victims to determine the exact causes of death. But officials believe hypothermia was likely.

After the group was found, three girls were flown in critical conditions to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, where they later died. The three with less severe injuries were taken to Logan Regional Hospital. Lance Capener was pronounced dead at the scene.

Capener was a doctor at Intermountain Healthcare's South Ogden Clinic since 2009. "We extend our deepest sympathies to all of those involved for the loss of those in the recent tragic incident," Intermountain Healthcare said in a prepared statement.

"We all want to have a different outcome than what we have, and sometimes that's just not possible," Stacey said.

Contributing: Mike Anderson, McKenzie Romero, Jed Boal, Alex Cabrero


Related Stories

Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast