3 people treated for botulism from eating fermented seal

By The Associated Press | Posted - May 15, 2015 at 9:11 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Three people in a western Alaska village have been treated for botulism after eating fermented seal flipper.

The Alaska Dispatch News reports (http://bit.ly/1E9rZO8 ) that the Koyuk residents fell ill after eating meat from two different seals on two separate occasions.

State infectious disease program manager Michael Cooper says that the seal flipper was wrapped in seal skin and placed in a box in both instances.

Cooper says eating traditionally fermented foods is risky, but steps can be taken to reduce the risk.

According to a 2011 state report, it is safer to age fish using the traditional method of placing it in grass or straw. Glass, plastic and sealed bags do not allow air to reach the food and can increase the likelihood of the formation of the botulinum toxin.

___

Information from: Alaska Dispatch News, http://www.adn.com

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast