Minnesota school testing interrupted by possible hacking



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ROSEVILLE, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota student testing has been suspended again after what is believed to be a sophisticated hacking attempt.

The state Department of Education said Wednesday it was temporarily halting the computerized Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments that test science proficiency. Testing was also disrupted last month over security and connectivity concerns.

Minnesota has a $38 million, three-year contract with Pearson to administer proficiency testing in math, science and reading. Students in third-grade to high school take the tests annually.

Minnesota's Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius says the deal is problematic given the high-stakes nature of the testing. She wants additional assurances from Pearson's that it can handle Minnesota's tests properly.

Cassellius has told school districts that testing will be suspended Thursday. The department will let districts know about the next steps on that day.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast