RANDOLPH, Vt. (AP) — About 100 people — many of them addicts — attended a police meeting on fentanyl-laced heroin in Randoph, Vermont, where a man died of an overdose in a convenience store bathroom 10 days ago.
The Rutland Herald reports (http://bit.ly/1zp5eKm) that Vermont State Police Sgt. John Helfant told the gathering at Randolph Union High School on Thursday that fentanyl is fueling the dramatic spike in heroin overdoses.
Police say that 30-year-old Donald Farnham died of a drug overdose in the bathroom of the Randolph Cumberland Farms on April. Randolph officer Loretta Stalnaker said drugs found on his body tested as pure fentanyl — an opioid that can be up to 50 times more powerful than heroin.
Farnham's funeral took place the day of the meeting.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.