Find a list of your saved stories here

Daffod-ill: UK stores warned people may mix up flowers, food

Daffod-ill: UK stores warned people may mix up flowers, food


1 photo
Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LONDON (AP) — Health officials in Britain have a message: Daffodils can make you ill.

Authorities have asked supermarkets to keep flowers far from fruit and vegetables, in case customers mistake poisonous blooms for food.

Public Health England says it has seen cases of consumers mistaking daffodil bulbs for onions and the stems for a popular Chinese vegetable.

It has sent supermarkets a letter headed: "Steps to avoid daffodil poisonings this spring."

Eating daffodils can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In 2012, several people in England were hospitalized after eating daffodil stems. The agency says it has received 63 inquiries about daffodil poisoning in the last six years.

Agency director Paul Cosford said Saturday that separating daffodils from produce or using warning labels were "very sensible" precautions.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos

Most recent World stories

Related topics

World
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast