Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazil's state-run oil company says it's temporarily suspending the country's biggest builders and engineering firms from bidding on contracts amid investigations into a massive corruption scandal.
The oil firm Petrobras says that it's blocked 23 companies from bidding on projects while an internal probe and an investigation by prosecutors continue into alleged kickbacks and money laundering.
Petrobras said late Monday that the firms now blocked from bidding included Brazil's top builders Odebrecht, Camargo Correa and Andrade Gutierrez. The oil company says the banned companies have the right to protest and appeal.
Federal prosecutors so far are seeking the repayment of some $380 million from companies in connection with their investigation, though they say they will great expand the probe.
Thirty-nine people, many top executives, face charges.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.