News / 

Detroit officials regain control of city...Holder resigning...More questions regarding who saw Ray Rice video

By The Associated Press | Posted - Sep. 25, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DETROIT (AP) — The day-to-day operations of Detroit's city government are back in the hands of its elected mayor and city council. State-appointed emergency manager Kevyn (kevin) Orr has signed one of his final orders and has relinquished control of the city after 18 months of state oversight. Orr says, "The city is more than ready." Orr was appointed in March 2013 to manage Detroit's troubled finances, and he took the city into the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Eric Holder says he won't leave his position until his replacement is confirmed. Holder announced his resignation Thursday, after leading the Justice Department since the first days of President Barack Obama's term. Holder aggressively enforced the Voting Rights Act, addressed drug-sentencing guidelines that led to disparities between white and black convicts and extended legal benefits to same-sex couples.

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — The NFL's security chief insists that he never received a video showing former Ravens player Ray Rice punching his then-fiance on an elevator. But a law enforcement official says that in April, the video was sent to NFL headquarters to the attention of security chief Jeffrey Miller. The enforcement official says he doesn't know if Miller ever opened the package. Those same images were released earlier this month by TMZ Sports.

PLACERVILLE, Calif. (AP) — A day of light rain has helped firefighters battling a wildfire in Northern California, east of Sacramento. Fire officials say the number of homes threatened by the blaze has been dramatically reduced, and two communities in El Dorado County are no longer under mandatory evacuation orders. The wildfire is now 55 percent contained.

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Mexican army is holding seven of its soldiers in connection with the killing of 22 people in rural southern Mexico. The military had initially reported the June 30 incident in San Pedro Limon (lee-MOHN') as a shootout, but a witness later described it as a massacre.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast