This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — A Ukrainian official says a cease-fire in eastern Ukraine is being upheld both by government troops and by rebels backed by Russia.
The spokesman for Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council says the cease-fire has held up since late yesterday -- making it the first night in weeks that there haven't been any civilians killed or residential buildings shelled.
He says there also have been no new casualties among Ukrainian forces.
The truce had earlier been riddled by repeated violations since it went into effect earlier this month.
Rebels say they are pulling back heavy artillery from front-line positions, in response to similar moves by Ukraine's army. Those maneuvers are part of a new peace agreement signed Saturday. It's aimed at creating a buffer zone along the front line that would allow the cease-fire to be more effectively enforced.
APPHOTO XEL102: A Ukrainian tank destroyed in recent battles with the Russian troops is seen on a road near the village of Dmytrivka, Luhansk region in the eastern Ukraine Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014. Despite of the declared cease-fire between the separatists and the Ukrainian military in eastern Ukraine occasional shooting has been reported. (AP Photo/Petro Zadorozhnyy) (23 Sep 2014)
<<APPHOTO XEL102 (09/23/14)££
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.