Pentagon: U.S. and Arab partners launch airstrikes in Syria

By The Associated Press | Posted - Sep. 22, 2014 at 9:31 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials say the United States and five Arab countries have launched an aerial offensive in Syria against Islamic State targets.

The airstrikes began about 8:30 p.m. EDT and are being conducted by the U.S., Bahrain, Qatar (GUH'-tur), Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates. The first wave of strikes finished about 90 minutes later. Additional attacks are expected.

The assault is said to involve a mix of manned aircraft — fighter jets and bombers — plus Tomahawk cruise missiles. Officials have previously said that likely targets could include command and control centers, re-supply facilities, training camps and other key logistical sites. Military leaders have said about two-thirds of the estimated 31,000 Islamic State militants are in Syria. The group controls territory there and in Iraq.

Pentagon spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said no details are available because the mission is ongoing. He did say the military made the decision early Monday to strike and that President Barack Obama is being updated. Obama vowed in a speech earlier this month to go after Islamic State wherever it operates.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast