Estimated read time: 4-5 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
AP Newsbreak: Deputy accused of illegal stops
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Two separate lawsuits accuse a rural Nevada sheriff's deputy of stopping travelers on a lonely stretch of Interstate 80 to make illegal drug searches, and confiscating tens of thousands of dollars for the county without bringing charges.
Two men who were traveling through northern Nevada last year offer strikingly similar accounts of their stops by the same Humboldt County deputy near the town of Winnemucca, 165 miles east of Reno.
According to the lawsuits, neither search produced drugs or an arrest, but in one case the deputy took a briefcase with $50,000 and in the other seized $13,800 and a handgun.
The lawsuits filed in federal court in Reno say they men were told they'd be released only if they forfeited their cash.
Two Reno lawyers representing the county didn't immediately respond to messages seeking comment. And Chief Deputy District Attorney Kevin Pasquale says his office wouldn't discuss the case.
PUPPIES SAVED-OWNERSHIP FIGHT
Foundation halts Vegas arson case puppy auction
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A raffle has been called off for 27 puppies rescued from a Las Vegas business that authorities say a woman and a man tried to torch.
The non-profit Animal Foundation issued a statement Friday announcing the postponement and declining comment on a court order issued hours earlier by a judge in Las Vegas.
It leaves ownership of the dogs with Prince and Princess pet store managing owner Donald Thompson — at least until a Tuesday hearing.
Thompson's attorney, Jacob Hafter, alleges that Clark County Commissioners ignored Thompson's ownership claim and conspired with the foundation to steal the puppies to sell them to raise funds.
Thompson's estranged wife, Gloria Lee, and another man, Kirk Bills, are accused of trying to set the store afire early Jan. 27 for the insurance money.
Inmate dies in Reno after week in hospital
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A 62-year-old inmate who was serving time for attempted lewdness with a minor has died at a Reno hospital.
Officials with the Nevada Department of Corrections say Herminio Salinas died at Renown Regional Medical Center on Wednesday after spending a week in the hospital for a medical condition.
Salinas had been convicted in Clark County and had been in the corrections system since August 2012.
He was serving a term of four to 15 years in prison.
An autopsy was scheduled.
RENO PARK-DEAD MAN
Reno police probe death of man at park near river
(Information in the following story is from: Reno Gazette-Journal, http://www.rgj.com)
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Reno police are investigating the death of a man whose body was found at a park along the Truckee River just north of Renown Regional Medical Center.
Reno police Sgt. Ken Harmon tells the Reno Gazette-Journal there are no signs of serious trauma or reasons to believe the death was of a suspicious nature. But because they don't have complete information, he says officers currently are treating it as a homicide.
Harmon says the man's Astro van was left running with his dog inside the vehicle at John Champion Park on Kuenzli Avenue east of the Gazette-Journal building.
Another man found the deceased while walking through the park and called authorities about 8 a.m. Friday.
Harmon says officers are canvassing the area trying to gather more information.
ARIZONA FUGITIVE ARRESTED
Man convicted in child's death arrested in Nevada
PHOENIX (AP) — A man who fled Arizona after being convicted of first-degree murder and child abuse in 2012 has been arrested in Nevada.
The U.S. Marshals Service says Jose Lopez was taken into custody Thursday night at a Las Vegas apartment complex.
Lopez had posted bond after his arrest in the 2007 death of 21-month-old Mia Alvarez and was required to attend his trial.
Pinal County prosecutors say Lopez fled the courthouse during a lunch recess and wasn't present when the jury announced its verdict in July 2012. A warrant was issued for his arrest.
Authorities say Lopez had been babysitting for his fiancee in Arizona City in July 2007.
He was accused of seriously injuring the girl, who suffered skull fractures and bruises. She died days later at a Phoenix hospital.
CARLOS MOLINA ARRESTED
Feds: Boxing champ Molina was deported in 2006
LAS VEGAS (AP) — U.S. immigration officials say IBF light middleweight champion Carlos Molina was deported once before, and faces removal again following his arrest in Las Vegas ahead of a scheduled weekend fight.
Immigration and Customs Enforcement official Lori Haley in California said Friday the 30-year-old Molina was previously deported in 2006.
Molina was arrested Tuesday by Las Vegas police on a felony warrant issued in Wisconsin in January 2007 accusing him of failing to register as a sex offender.
He remained jailed Friday pending transfer to ICE custody and deportation proceedings.
Molina had been scheduled to defend his title Saturday night against Jermall Charlo at the MGM Grand Garden arena on the Las Vegas Strip. The bout was an undercard matchup before a super welterweight fight between Canelo Alvarez and Alfredo Angulo.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.