Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
CATAWBA, N.C. (AP) - The scheduled burning of the million-dollar home once owned by former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield as part of a fire training exercise has been canceled.
Chief Donald Robinson of the Catawba Volunteer Fire Department said Saturday's scheduled burning was called off because of the threat of rain. Firefighters had said previously that rain would not prevent the burning from taking place.
Robinson said the house was in such bad shape firefighters couldn't conduct any of the practice drills inside. He also said the new owner doesn't want to keep the house, adding that the house will either be burned down or torn down.
State officials kicked Mayfield off the land in November 2012. Catawba County sheriff's deputies changed the locks on the doors. Carolina Farm Credit received an order that month transferring the land and buildings to the company. Court records show the bank bought the land for $1,725,000.
The windows and the wiring have been stripped from the home. Drywall and other building materials are now exposed.
Mayfield was suspended from driving in 2009 after testing positive for methamphetamine. He is facing a variety of charges.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)