News / Utah / 

2 more people arrested in fatal gang shooting

By McKenzie Romero and Sandra Yi | Posted - Sep 10th, 2013 @ 6:40pm

6 photos

Show 2 more videos

ROY — Police arrested the owners of a home where a man was shot early Sunday.

On Monday, Roy City investigators arrested Rudy and Samantha Martinez, owners of the home where Mario Saucedo was shot.

The two were arrested on suspicion of obstruction of justice, a second degree felony if charged.

Those investigating the case say more arrests are likely in this case.

Police also arrested one man in connection with a fatal shooting at a house party over the weekend.

Ruben Alvarado Nava III, 40, was arrested Monday as part of an investigation into the death of 23-year-old Mario Saucedo.

The two men apparently didn't know each other. They were "just two people who ended up at the same party," Roy police spokesman Bryce Weir said.

Saucedo was shot just after midnight Sunday at a house party in Roy, 2950 W. 4650 South.

Criminal history
According to Utah court records, Nava was convicted of joyriding in 2006, a felony amended to a misdemeanor. He was sentenced to jail time, running consecutively with an earlier conviction that same year of two counts of felony forgery.

In 2005, Nava was convicted of misdemeanor drug possession. In 2004, he was convicted of misdemeanor simple assault and domestic violence, according to court records.

Police were en route to a fight at the party when they received reports multiple shots had been fired and someone had been hit. Police have confirmed the shooting as gang related.

The shooting and alleged gang activity has many residents in the neighborhood worried.

"My wife was up during (the time of the shooting) just scared to death — crying and worried," said neighbor Mel Flowers. "I was really surprised. This is a quiet neighborhood."

Saucedo was given emergency medical treatment but was pronounced dead at an area hospital. Court records show that Saucedo had a criminal history. In February, Saucedo was charged with distributing drugs, violating a gang injunction and interfering with an arresting officer. He was scheduled to go to trial in November.

No one else was involved in the altercation Sunday, Weir said.

When police arrived, Nava had fled the scene. Investigators located him at an apartment in Clearfield on Monday and took him into custody without incident.

Nava was booked into Weber County Jail, and potential charges are being screened by the Weber County Attorney's Office.

Contributing: Haley Smith


Related Stories

McKenzie Romero
Sandra Yi

KSL Weather Forecast

Updated: Tuesday July 17, 2018 5:06 am