News / Utah / 

Fan blamed for house fire

By Haley Smith | Posted - Sep 9th, 2013 @ 7:31am

5 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SARATOGA SPRINGS — A family of six is out of their home following an early-morning fire that left their house uninhabitable.

Fire investigators said it appears a faulty connection to a bathroom fan on the second floor ignited the roof of the house in Saratoga Springs just before 1 a.m.

Crews extinguished the flames within about 15 minutes but the fire left about $75,000 in damage.

"The back side of the roof has pretty much been burned off," said Chief Jess Campbell of the Saratoga Springs Fire Department. "It's going to take a considerable amount of rehab and refurbishing of the house to get these people back in their home."

Crews ripped down most of the ceiling of the home to make sure the fire was completely doused.

No one was injured in this fire, and the family's pets - a turtle and a cat - are safe.

The Red Cross was assisting the two adults and four children in finding a place to stay.


Haley Smith

    KSL Weather Forecast