News / Utah / 

Man injured when 50-gallon drum explodes during cutting

By McKenzie Romero | Posted - Mar 26th, 2013 @ 9:48am

BOUNTIFUL — A 60-year-old man was in critical condition Monday night after a barrel he was cutting exploded, striking him in the head.

South Davis Metro Fire deputy chief Jeff Bassett said the 55-gallon drum was empty but labeled as flammable. An unknown fume apparently ignited as the man was cutting into the barrel with a torch about 2:15 p.m., he said.

"We're not sure what exactly was in that barrel at a previous time," Bassett said. "We're thinking there were some fumes or some type of product that was dry on the inside of the drum."

The man was unconscious when he was flown from his home at 535 N. 660 West in Bountiful to Intermountain Medical Center with severe head trauma, Bassett said.

The explosion didn't spark any fire.

McKenzie Romero

KSL Weather Forecast