News / Utah / Local

Man causes 2-hour standoff after shooting wife, police say

By Jasen Lee | Posted - Dec 16th, 2012 @ 10:33pm

ROY — A woman was recovering from injuries Sunday after she was shot in what police were calling an episode of domestic violence.

Police said the incident occurred late Saturday night in Roy at a home located near 3800 West and 4750 South when a husband and wife got into an argument after the husband had thrown a liquor bottle at a female friend who was in the house at the time, striking her in the head. Following that alleged assault, the man then threatened his wife with a handgun, firing multiple shots and striking her in the lower extremities, investigators said.

She was able to flee, eventually running to a neighbor’s home down the street. The man pursued for a short time, firing shots from his front stoop that left bullet holes in the siding of the house and in the siding of the home across the street.

“This is a house that we’ve had a history with,” said Roy Police chief Greg Whinham. “We made arrests prior for domestic violence and yet this happened again and escalated to the point where a gun was used.”

Following a two-hour standoff with police, Christopher Locke, 41, eventually surrendered without incident and was booked into Weber County Jail pending multiple charges including attempted homicide, Whinham said.

The wife, whose name was not released, was taken to the hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries. She remained in stable condition Sunday.

The second victim in the incident received minor injuries from being struck by the bottle. Whinham said the 5-year old son of the couple was also in the house at the time, but was unharmed.

Next door neighbor Jay Poulsen said authorities are called to the house almost every month regarding domestic disturbances — mostly involving alcohol.

“(They argued) about bills, mostly financial issues,” he said. “Usually he would just yell, scream and leave — take off on his motorcycle.”

When the most recent argument escalated, the wife was able to leave, running down the street where she sought refuge at neighbor Leah Apodaca’s home.

“My husband was in the garage and heard the gunshots. He peeked his head out, noticed the victim running and saying that she had been shot,” she said. “We brought her in the house and called police.”

“She said that she had an argument and that her husband had shot her,” Apodaca continued. “I got her down on the floor and just tried to keep her as calm as possible. It was really scary.”

KSL Weather Forecast

Updated: Monday April 23, 2018 5:06 am