Crews demonstrate dangers of carbon monoxide

Crews demonstrate dangers of carbon monoxide

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) Local officials are warning about just how quickly carbon monoxide can become deadly.

The Kearns Fire Department and HAZMAT team gave Eyewitness News a demonstration. They put a small generator in a shed for 15 minutes.

After five minutes, the carbon monoxide levels were high enough to give anyone breathing the air a headache. After 15 minutes, it was a severe headache.

HAZMAT technicians say being exposed to the generator for eight hours could be fatal. Bigger appliances would kill much quicker.

Officials also warn carbon monoxide levels on propane or fuel-based space heaters can be just as deadly.

Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast