Find a list of your saved stories here

Woman escapes Farmington holding cell while handcuffed

13 photos
Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

FARMINGTON — A man and a woman escaped from Farmington police Tuesday, both while in handcuffs. One of them is still on the run. But after about an hour of searching, police caught up with the woman.

Detectives described the couple as professional criminals. They're accused of being involved in a crime spree that spanned the Wasatch Front.

When officers found the two at the Lagoon Campground, they said the man smashed through a police cruiser window to get away; the woman picked a holding cell lock.

The Tuesday morning arrest came, Farmington Police Lt. Parish Snyder said, while "detectives were following up some leads on some vehicle burglaries and some credit card frauds that occurred the month prior."

Snyder said investigators believe the man and woman broke into a number of cars in the area, mainly targeting credit cards. West Jordan police were also looking for the pair in connection with the theft of a motorhome. The two allegedly bought it with a forged $30,000 cashier's check.

"On a hunch, our detective went down to the Lagoon Campground to see if he could find this motorhome," Snyder said.

The detective found what he was looking for, and the couple inside.

"They had the stolen Bounder, they had the stolen motorcycle, they had the stolen trailer — all three of the items also had stolen plates on them," Snyder said.

As Farmington police took the couple into custody, officers say the chaos began.

"We were able to secure the female in the holding cell; but while we were doing that, the males suspect kicked out a window (in the patrol car)," Snyder said.

While officers went after him, Snyder said the woman picked the lock and ran. She made it to Woodland Park, just outside the police station, but a K-9 unit quickly found her ducked behind some bushes.

Still, detectives said the woman was determined. When she attempted to flee again as they were putting her in the car, officers bound her arms and legs.

"We have this thing called Body Wrap, that secures you as tight as can be," Snyder said, "and she was able to slip that as well, right before we got to the jail."

But she is now, finally behind bars. Police are trying to determine who she is, as well as the male suspect.

Police say he stole a black Hum-V from a home across the street from the [olice station to get away. It has Montana plates, with the number: LIZARD 6.

If you have seen the vehicle, contact the Davis County Sheriff's Office.


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Mike Anderson


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast