News / 

New Yorkers undaunted by terror threat

By Andrew Adams | Posted - Sep. 9, 2011 at 9:24 a.m.



Show 1 more video

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

NEW YORK CITY -- Despite the latest terror threat targeting New York City and Washington DC, New Yorkers are unflinching.

KSL spoke to several at Ground Zero after news broke of the threat. Officials told various news outlets late Thursday and Friday the threat potentially involved car bombs to "avenge Osama bin Laden's death."

Police and federal agents were believed to be looking for three men, who - according to the intelligence - came from Pakistan.

"The threat is always and forever," said Joe Horwitz, who was within a quarter mile of the twin towers when hijackers flew two airplanes into them on September 11, 2001.

"Ever since then, there's always been a threat. That's why every day you go in there - there's National Guard guys with automatic rifles at these stations and around different places," he said.


I said, ‘We gotta get out of here,' and just as that happened I saw the second explosion.

–Joe Horwitz


The memories of 9/11 are still fresh and vivid for Horwitz and others.

"For the first few minutes what was going on - we were watching it - and we could see people jumping [from the towers]," Horwitz recalled. "I just said, ‘We gotta get out of here,' and just as that happened, I saw the second explosion."

The first tower collapsed just after Horowitz crossed the Brooklyn Bridge.

While he visited and took pictures Thursday night, Horwitz said he was not planning to trek to Ground Zero Sunday.

"I do not want to be there," Horwitz said. "There is going to be too much going on and hopefully people respect the day."

A construction foreman at Ground Zero who did not want to be identified said he was glad to see the area rebuild, albeit very slowly.

Related:

"It was all the legal nonsense that held them up for too long," he said.

For him, the absence of the twin towers has been glaring. "For years they were such a landmark - it just destroyed the whole skyline of the city," he said.

Many people passing Ground Zero Thursday and Friday stopped to take pictures of the reconstruction. Paul Chance came from Sacramento, Calif., to honor the anniversary Sunday.

"It's pretty amazing to see the progress that's being done," Chance said. "It's bittersweet, because it's been 10 years."

Kristy Woodbury was also struck by the view. "It's amazing what's happened and how far we've come since then," she said.

E-mail: aadams@ksl.com

Related Stories

Andrew Adams

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast