Man Escapes House Fire in Riverton

Man Escapes House Fire in Riverton

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Gene Kennedy reporting

A Riverton man escapes his house as it erupts into flames. Investigators say kerosene heaters started the blaze.

Man Escapes House Fire in Riverton

Fire investigators say natural gas had been shut off in the home, so the homeowner was using portable kerosene heaters to warm the house.

Several were in the back bedroom, which is where the fire started according to investigators.

The homeowner went to refuel one of those portable units, and spilled some kerosene. The carpet ignited.

Man Escapes House Fire in Riverton

The fire began around 4 am. Smoke and flames spread from the bedroom to the attic. The homeowner got out okay, and the house isn't a total loss, but it's far from livable. The damage estimate is about 160-thousand dollars.

The fire is a reminder to all: As winter continues, we have to be so careful with those portable heaters.

Capt. Jim Anderson, Unified Fire Authority: "If you are using any type of heater in your house, make sure it’s UL approved. Make sure you are using it properly. Also make sure that you have a lot of ventilation, because we do have a lot of Carbon Monoxide poisoning going on from portable heaters being in closed structures."

Man Escapes House Fire in Riverton

If you're using a kerosene heater, never fuel it indoors. If you have a portable electric heater, make sure the cord is not frayed and that you are not using an extension cord. Also, for both types, don't have objects like clothing or furniture in close proximity. That's an open invitation for a fire, and a scene like we are showing you this afternoon.

Some other safety tips:

  • Don't leave candles unattended
  • Make sure the flu in fireplace is clean
  • Expert check ducts in your home

Do not leave ornamental candles burning unattended, make sure the flue in your fireplace is cleaned, and have a heating expert check the ducts in your home.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast