(Beef or Turkey)
Makes Approximately 1 gallon of chili
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
2 lbs. ground turkey OR Beef
1 medium yellow onion, 3/8" diced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans of Harmons diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 cup pasilla peppers, prepared as directed
1 ounces salt
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon paprika
2 Tablespoons dried oregano leaf
1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cups of water
Roasting the Pasilla Peppers
1. Place whole peppers directly over an open burner on high or place on a sheet pan and broil in oven.
2. Cook on each side and turn when area is charred.
3. When pepper is completely charred place into a stainless steel bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
4. Remove char with a your hand or paper towel, do not rinse.
5. Remove seeds and stems.
6. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
7. Add onions and garlic.
8. Sauté about 2 minutes stirring frequently until just starting to brown.
9. Add ground turkey and cook until completely browned. Break up any clumps while cooking.
10. Add water, tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, roasted peppers, spices and brown sugar.
11. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
12. Serve hot.
13. Can be frozen for 6 months