Sandoval has injured back and is out of Red Sox lineup

Sandoval has injured back and is out of Red Sox lineup


1 photo
Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Third baseman Pablo Sandoval has lower back stiffness and was not in Boston's starting lineup Thursday against the New York Mets.

Sandoval was injured diving for a ball off the bat of Miami's Giancarlo Stanton on Tuesday.

"He is going to be down for a couple of days, just trying to get back to that," Red Sox manager John Farrell said. "So he's going to be unavailable — on a day-to-day status right now.

Farrell said he does not think Sandoval will require a stint on the disabled list.

Sandoval, listed as 5 foot, 11 inches and 255 pounds, appeared to be overweight when he reported for spring training last month. The Red Sox said they were not concerned by his weight and principal owner John Henry said Sandoval's body fat ratio was 17 percent, down from 21 percent last season.

Travis Shaw, one of Boston's prospects, has had a strong spring training, playing first base and third base.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos

Most recent National Sports stories

Related topics

MAUREEN MULLEN
    KSL.com Beyond Series

    KSL Weather Forecast

    KSL Weather Forecast
    Play button