Armenian soldier killed in Nagorno-Karabakh


Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

YEREVAN, Armenia (AP) — Nagorno-Karabakh says one of its soldiers has been killed in a clash with Azerbaijani forces.

The separatist region's military said the soldier was shot and killed in fighting Monday. David Babaian, a spokesman for the Nagorno-Karabakh separatist government, said Tuesday that the clash occurred when Azerbaijani forces launched an attack on the Armenian positions.

Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said its forces rebuffed an Armenian attack Monday.

Azerbaijan's Nagorno-Karabakh region and some adjacent territory have been under the control of Armenian soldiers and local Armenian forces since a 1994-cease-fire that ended a six-year war.

Attempts to negotiate a peaceful settlement have stalled, and the sides engage in frequent shootings and attempted incursions along the cease-fire line. Tensions have soared since Azerbaijani forces downed an Armenian military helicopter last month.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent World stories

Related topics

The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Notice.
    Newsletter Signup

    KSL Weather Forecast

    KSL Weather Forecast
    Play button