Seaway traffic moving following cruise ship crash


Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MASSENA, N.Y. (AP) — Shipping traffic is moving again on the St. Lawrence Seaway after a cruise ship was removed from the northern New York lock it crashed into last week.

The Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corp. says the Saint Laurent was refloated and exited the Eisenhower Lock at Massena on Saturday. Navigation on the seaway resumed late that afternoon, with 15 vessels continuing voyages that were halted by Thursday night's accident.

The 286-foot cruise ship hit an approach wall bumper at the lock as the vessel made its way from Montreal to Toronto. FleetPro, the ship's Miami-based operators, say 19 passengers and three crew members suffered minor injuries.

FleetPro says the 192 mostly French and Swiss passengers got off the ship Friday afternoon and were bused to Montreal to catch flights home.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Notice.
    Newsletter Signup

    KSL Weather Forecast

    KSL Weather Forecast
    Play button