The new James A. Ramage Civil War museum at Battery Hooper will be formally dedicated in Fort Wright Saturday.
Battery Hooper, erected in 1862, was an artillery position named for William Hooper, a Cincinnati banker who donated money to help pay soldiers and men working on the defenses.
In September 1862, Union Gen. Lew Wallace, overseeing the defense of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky from Confederate attack ordered construction of an eight-mile-long series of fortification on hills ranging from Ludlow to Fort Thomas. Battery Hooper was a part of those defenses.
They, along with the 22,000 Union troops and 50,000 militia behind them, helped to convince Confederate Gen. Henry Heth to turn his force of 8,000 men around in September 1862 and withdraw, eliminating the threat against the Queen City.
The museum is named for James A. Ramage, a Northern Kentucky University professor who specializes in Civil War history
The events will begin at 10 a.m. Saturday.
(C) 2005 The Cincinnati Post. via ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved