Austria files charges against suspect over planned 2024 Taylor Swift attack

General view shows outside of Happel stadium after Taylor Swift's three concerts this week were canceled after the government confirmed a planned attack at the stadium in Vienna, Austria, Aug. 8, 2024.

General view shows outside of Happel stadium after Taylor Swift's three concerts this week were canceled after the government confirmed a planned attack at the stadium in Vienna, Austria, Aug. 8, 2024. (Elisabeth Mandl, Reuters)


Save Story

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

KEY TAKEAWAYS
  • Austrian prosecutors charged a 21-year-old suspect over a planned 2024 attack.
  • The suspect allegedly planned an Islamist attack at a Taylor Swift concert.
  • If convicted, the suspect faces up to 20 years in prison.

VIENNA — Austrian prosecutors have filed terrorism-related and other charges ​against a now 21-year-old suspect arrested shortly before a 2024 Taylor Swift concert in Vienna, who they ‌said planned to carry out an Islamist militant attack.

The Vienna prosecutors' office plans ⁠to bring a criminal ​case against the unnamed ⁠suspect in Wiener Neustadt, a town near Vienna, accusing ‌him of producing ‌a small amount of the explosive triacetone triperoxide and ⁠attempting to purchase weapons ⁠illegally, it said in a statement on Monday.

The statement referred to the suspect's arrest in August 2024, the same month as three planned Swift concerts were canceled at short notice after Austrian authorities said they ‌had foiled an attack.

The statement from ​the prosecutors' office did not name the suspect, but he was identified by Austrian media as Beran A and is the only one to have been arrested in connection with the planned attack. Beran A's lawyer was not immediately available for comment but has ​previously disputed accusations made against his client.

The prosecutors' statement ‌said the suspect ‌was ⁠a member of Islamic State and that he is accused of carrying out online research into a type of shrapnel bomb used by that group, and of spreading ‌Islamic State "propaganda material" online.

If ​convicted he faces up to ‌20 years in ⁠prison, the ​statement added.

The Key Takeaways for this article were generated with the assistance of large language models and reviewed by our editorial team. The article, itself, is solely human-written.

Most recent World stories

Related topics

Francois Murphy
    KSL.com Beyond Business
    KSL.com Beyond Series

    KSL Weather Forecast

    KSL Weather Forecast
    Play button