News / 
Police officer shot in Provo released from hospital 1 week later

courtesy of Provo Police Department

Police officer shot in Provo released from hospital 1 week later

By Ashley Fredde, | Posted - Mar. 4, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.

PROVO — The Provo officer who was shot after exchanging gunfire with a man outside the Vista Ridge Apartments last week has been released from the hospital, according to Provo Police Department.

Officer John Oseguera was taken to the hospital on Feb. 25 after he was shot twice and suffered injuries to his head from shrapnel. According to court documents, Oseguera was able to walk out of the apartment on his own but had to be rushed into emergency surgery. The documents state that Oseguera had a bullet near his spine and had a broken leg.

Oseguera's release from the hospital comes just one day after the alleged gunman Keith Justin Taylor, 44, was charged in 4th District Court with three counts of attempted aggravated murder, a first-degree felony, and illegal discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony.

On Feb. 25, Provo officers responded around 12:30 p.m. to numerous calls of a man with a gun acting erratically near 80 South and 900 East in Provo, said Provo Police Sgt. Nisha King. The officers responded and attempted to arrest the man, but he retreated into the apartment building. According to charging documents, once Taylor reached his bedroom he retrieved a semi-automatic rifle and began firing at the officers.

Police said Taylor exchanged gunfire with the officers, striking Oseguera. Officers provided cover for Oseguera, as he left the building. Taylor continued to exchange gunfire with officers until he surrendered and was taken into custody, according to court documents. Taylor was treated for injuries sustained in the shootout and then was booked into Utah County Jail.

Related Stories


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast