There are a number of things you can and should do to ensure you don't get taken advantage of when buying and selling items on KSL.com.
- Always be vigilant for scams (especially those claiming to be from or originating overseas)
- Always ask for paperwork (i.e. registration, warranty info, title, etc.) to verify the seller's claims
- Always verify the item's condition before payment
- Have an expert examine the item before you buy
- Always print a copy of the KSL.com classified ad for your records
- Make sure the terms of the sale are clear
- Create a simple contract and accompany the seller to notarize and validate the transaction
- Meet the seller in person in an open and public location
- Be cautious of anyone who refuses to communicate on the telephone
- When buying a vehicle, have the seller accompany you with the title to the DMV (if they refuse...red flag)
- Call the DMV and ask the agent if the seller owns the car and is able to sell it (800-DMV-Utah)
- Be honest about your expectations
Most importantly, if something seems out of the ordinary or inconsistent - take precautions to protect yourself.
For more information on how to protect against fraud, click here.