News / 

Fugitive in police custody after Taylorsville SWAT incident

1 photo
Save Story
Leer en Español

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TAYLORSVILLE — Unified SWAT teams responded to a barricaded Adult Probation and Parole fugitive on Wednesday as of 6:25 p.m. and within the hour the man had been taken into custody.

Shane Lockhart, 34, had barricaded himself near 3503 W. Valley Heights Drive, police said. He was safely taken into police custody as of 7:10 p.m., according to UPD.

Lockhart was found in a stolen Ford F150 and police followed him, according to a jail report. He was driving erratically, making it impossible for officers to stop him and take him into custody, the report said.

He then jumped through a window and into an abandoned home and barricaded himself, attempting to hide, the jail report states.

He made threats to "shoot it out" with police, but eventually surrendered and came out of the home, according to the report.

A gun was found in the stolen vehicle. By 8:20 p.m., the scene had been cleared. No one was injured in the incident.

Lockhart had multiple active felony arrest warrants when police encountered him, according to the jail report. He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of burglary and receiving a stolen vehicle, the report states.

Contributing: Steven Breinholt, KSL TV; Jacob Klopfenstein,


Most recent News stories

Related topics

Lauren Bennett is a reporter with who covers Utah’s religious community and the growing tech sector in the Beehive State.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast