This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin teenager who was shot and wounded when he stabbed a school resource officer has been ordered to stand trial.
Grant Fuhrman, 17, is charged as an adult with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in the Dec. 3 attack at Oshkosh West High School.
Fuhrman is accused of stabbing Mike Wissink multiple times with a barbecue fork. Court documents say the officer was unable to reach his stun gun so he shot Fuhrman twice. Neither was seriously injured.
The school was evacuated and classes were cancelled for two days.
A shackled Fuhrman appeared in a Winnebago County courtroom Thursday where a judge bound him over for trial, WLUK-TV reported.
The teen's mother, Tina Fuhrman, spoke out for the first time Thursday.
“He’s loved and supported by so many people,” she said. “He’s a good kid.”
Fuhrman has been behind bars on a $1 million cash bond since his first court appearance last month.
“Grant is very scared and very confused, at this time,” said Fuhrman’s attorney Chadwick Kaehne. “Let us not forget that Grant was shot in the chest, and that itself is a very traumatic experience.”
If convicted, Fuhrman faces up to 60 years in prison. He’s due back in court Feb. 19.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.