Indonesia's losing presidential candidate to join Cabinet



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia's losing presidential candidate says he'll join his election rival's Cabinet to help strengthen the country's defense.

Former special forces general Prabowo Subianto said Monday he was asked by President Joko Widodo to join the Cabinet, which will be announced Wednesday.

Subianto declined to say if he had been asked to become defense minister as widely speculated by local media.

Widodo, who was sworn in for his second term on Sunday, said Indonesians should unite after the bitter election campaign.

Subianto had refused to accept the April 17 election results. He alleged massive and systematic fraud, but his legal challenge was rejected by Indonesia's top court last month.

Nine people died in riots in May after official results showed that Widodo had won 55.5% of the vote.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast