Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Plans to open a Mississippi River spillway in Louisiana have been put off a second time because the river continues to rise more slowly than expected.
Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Matt Roe said Monday that plans now call for the Morganza Spillway's opening to begin Sunday, a week after the original announced date. It already had been put off once, to Thursday.
National Weather Service hydrologist David Welch says the Mississippi River's crest is now expected to be about 6 inches (15 centimeters) lower than previously forecast.
The corps has said it wants to open the Morganza Spillway only when it becomes necessary.
Any opening this year would be the third time ever and the second time to control floodwaters.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.