Marc Weaver, KSL TV

25 injured, 5 arrested in brawl at southern Utah alternative school

By Pat Reavy, KSL | Posted - Apr. 29, 2019 at 1:39 p.m.

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ST. GEORGE — Five teenagers were booked into juvenile detention in St. George Sunday night following a large brawl at a youth treatment center, and more arrests were expected Monday.

St. George police were called about 8:15 p.m. Sunday to Red Rock Canyon School, 747 E. St. George Blvd., said officer Tiffany Atkin. The school is a psychiatric inpatient treatment center for juveniles ages 12 to 18.

Atkin said the incident began as an argument between two boys at the school. She did not know what the argument was about. The verbal arguing turned into a physical confrontation, and then a sister of one of the boys got involved and the fight "snowballed from there," Atkin said.

A total of 25 people reported having some sort of injury, she said. Twenty were treated at the scene and refused to be checked out at a hospital, Atkin said. Four people were transported to a hospital by ambulance and one by St. George police, she said.

The most serious injury was a large cut on the back of a juvenile's head that required staples to close, Atkin said. That victim was hit with an unknown object. The majority of injuries were bumps and bruises caused by fists and kicking, she said. The exact ages of the victims were not immediately known.

Five people were booked into juvenile detention for investigation of assault, criminal mischief and inciting a riot. Atkin said up to 12 people were believed to be actively involved in the fight and more arrests are expected.

The school has 97 students, she said.

In addition to St. George police, officers from the Washington County Sheriff's Office, Santa Clara/Ivins Police Department, Dixie State University Police, Hurricane Police Department, Utah Highway Patrol, Washington City Police Department, and St. George Fire Department responded to the scene Sunday night. St. George Boulevard was closed for several hours.

Atkin said St. George police officers were present at the school on Monday.

Related Stories

Pat Reavy

KSL Weather Forecast