Person dies in Texas after infection from bacteria in Gulf


Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) — South Texas health officials say a person died after becoming infected with bacteria while wade fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

Health officials said Tuesday that the person was hospitalized with severe leg pain after going into the water with skin tears. Measures taken to fight the infection included amputation.

The Corpus Christi-Nueces County Public Health District says vibrio bacteria naturally inhabit coastal waters where oysters live. The bacteria can enter the body through an open wound or by consuming raw or undercooked shellfish.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the U.S.

Dr. Emilie Prot with the Texas Department of State Health Services says there's a larger amount of the bacteria present in summer months.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

U.S.
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast