Utah man making homemade fireworks injured in explosion

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

RICHMOND, Utah (AP) — A Utah man making homemade fireworks in his garage set off an explosion that left him with injuries and forced authorities to evacuate his home for the night.

The Cache County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that the 47-year-old man was mixing black powder for fireworks Tuesday night in the northern Utah town of Richmond when an explosion occurred, injuring the man's arm and face.

The sheriff's office said the man was hospitalized but did not offer details on his condition.

Firefighters discovered a leaking propane tank in the man's home and evacuated other residents overnight.

A bomb squad set off a "controlled explosion" to destroy remaining firework materials.

State Fire Marshal Coy Porter says it's illegal to make homemade fireworks and fireworks manufacturers need a license.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast